When You Can’t Go Home:

Free Expense Tracking Kit

Send me the kit!

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Good News: You probably have Additional Living Expenses coverage.

You know that your homeowner’s policy should cover the repairs for damage sustained from a recent storm, fire or other covered cause of loss. But what happens when a disaster displaces you from your home?  Will you have to take a loss on the expenses required while the repairs are being made and you can’t return home?

Most standard homeowner’s policies include coverage for Additional Living Expenses (“ALE”).

This coverage reimburses any required expenses needed for you to maintain a normal standard of living while you are waiting for your home to be repaired. “Normal standard of living” means that you are entitled to recoup expenses as long as they do not go above and beyond your typical way of life.

From day one, it’s important to track all of your expenses and keep every receipt. Our Additional Living Expenses tracking kit can help you keep detailed records of each expense and manage your receipts.

ALE typically covers expenses for:

  • Cost of hotel or rental home
  • Mileage for increased distance from temporary housing to employment, school, sports, etc.
  • Cost of moving personal items into storage
  • Food costs in excess of normal cost of food/grocery/restaurant meals
  • Laundry services
  • Pet boarding

Be sure to get written approval from your insurance company before taking on any significant expenses. You don’t want to be stuck with a purchase that isn’t covered under your policy.

Real people. Proven results.

Example past storm damage settlement. Many other settlements are confidential between the parties involved and cannot be revealed.

Is it covered? Know for sure.

When your home is severely damaged, be sure you understand what is and is not covered under your homeowner’s policy prior to taking on any significant expenses. Find out the amount of coverage for ALE under your homeowner’s policy and if there are any time limits for receiving reimbursement. Many policies provide ALE coverage as a percentage of the total amount of insurance on the home, typically 10 to 20 percent. In other words, if your home is insured for $250,000 and your policy has a 20 percent cap on ALE coverage, you are entitled to up to $50,000 in expenses.

It’s imperative you budget appropriately.

If you reach your policy’s ALE cap prior to being able to return to your home, you will be responsible for the remainder of all expenses. If in doubt, contact an experienced insurance lawyer to review your policy and help you understand your rights.

Unresolved Harvey or Irma insurance claim? Free claim review: 855-702-9061.

If your insurance claim, including the cost of Additional Living Expenses, has been denied or underpaid, contact the insurance lawyers at McDonald Law Firm. We know the tactics insurance companies use avoid paying valid claims and we’ll fight to help you recover the maximum compensation allowed under your homeowner’s policy.

Let’s talk.

Call: 855-702-9061
Text: 817-203-0260

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Insurance Disputes - McDonaldLawFirm.com
Denied, delayed or underpaid hurricane damage insurance claim? McDonaldLawFirm.com
Denied, delayed or underpaid business interruption claim? McDonaldLawFirm.com
Denied, delayed or underpaid flood damage insurance claim? McDonaldLawFirm.com
Denied, delayed or underpaid wind damage insurance claim? McDonaldLawFirm.com